Tag Archives: Visual Studio 2013
Xamarin is now included for free in Visual Studio
Starting April of 2016, Visual Studio now includes Xamarin for free. This is the case for every edition of Visual Studio, including Visual Studio Community Edition, which is free as well.
With Xamarin you can develop and publish native apps for iOS and Android using C# or F# from directly within Visual Studio with no limits on app size.
For developers that are using Mac, Xamarin Studio is now available as a benefit of your Visual Studio Professional or Enterprise subscription. Developers can use the newly-created Xamarin Studio Community Edition for free.
You can visit Xamarin’s store to download Xamarin for free. Keep in mind that, Xamarin, although free, is license restricted for bigger companies. If you want to use Xamarin you will need to comply to one of the following license terms:
- Individual license – If you are an individual working on your own applications to sell or for any other purpose, you may use the software to develop and test those applications.
- Organization licenses – If you are an organization, your users may use the software as follows:
- Any number of your users may use the software to develop and test your applications released under Open Source Initiative (OSI) approved open source software licenses.
- Any number of your users may use the software to develop and test extensions to Visual Studio.
- Any number of your users may use the software to develop and test your applications as part of online or in person classroom training and education, or for performing academic research.
- If none of the above apply, and you are also not an enterprise (defined below), then up to 5 of your individual users can use the software concurrently to develop and test your applications.
- If you are an enterprise, your employees and contractors may not use the software to develop or test your applications, except for open source and education purposes as permitted above. An enterprise is any organization and its affiliates who collectively have either (a) more than 250 PCs or users or (b) more than one million US dollars (or the equivalent in other currencies) in annual revenues, and enterprise means those entities that control (via majority ownership), are controlled by, or are under common control with an organization.
- Demo use – The uses permitted above include use of the software in demonstrating your applications.
Posted in Software News.
Tagged Android, iOS, Microsoft, Visual Studio, Visual Studio 2012, Visual Studio 2013, Visual Studio 2015, Visual Studio Community, Xamarin
Visual Studio 2013 Update 5 is now available
On July 20th 2015, a new update for Visual Studio 2013 by Microsoft became available for download.
Visual Studio 2013 is an integrated development environment from Microsoft with a comprehensive collection of developer tools and services, used to create apps, as well as web sites and web services.
The latest update features cumulative series of technology improvements and bug fixes to enhance and expand both Visual Studio 2013 and Team Foundation Server 2013 to support the latest software development innovations for building and managing modern apps.
Here are some changes:
- Cloud-based load testing from Azure datacenters worldwide – allows you to perform cloud-based load testing from any of the supported Azure datacenters
- Current iteration query token – allows you to run queries with the @currentIteration on Visual Studio Online or Visual Studio Foundation Server
- Team Project Rename support for Local Workspaces – allows you to update local workspaces after a team project is renamed
- Bug Fixes & Known Issues – fixed a few known issues
If you would like to try something new, the new Visual Studio 2015 has also been released on July 20th 2015, together with .NET Framework 4.6. You can download it here.
If you wish to learn more, a detailed description of the update for Visual Studio 2013 can be found here.
Please note, that the Visual Studio 2013 RTM will only be supported for one year after this update, then it will be discontinued.
Posted in Microsoft, Software Updates.
Tagged Visual Studio, Visual Studio 2013, Visual Studio 2013 update 5
Microsoft releases Visual Studio Community 2013
Microsoft has released a new version of Visual Studio 2013 that goes by the name of Visual Studio Community 2013.
What is this you may ask? Simply put, Visual Studio Community edition is a free, full-featured development environment designed for open source contributors, students, small companies, start-ups and individual developers.
Visual Studio Community 2013 offers the same of features that can be found in the professional version including the ability to install extensions.
Any individual developer can use the Visual Studio Community edition to create free or commercial apps. As for organizations, if you are a non-enterprise organization, up to 5 of your developers can use the Community edition. Otherwise, for enterprise organizations, you are prohibited from using this version except in cases where your project is an open source project or has to do with academic research and classroom learning.
Visual Studio Community 2013 comes with update 4 build in and can be downloaded at Visual Studio Community 2013 Offline Installer (.ISO / English)
If you are interested in more details or you wish to download a different language of the product, visit Visual Studio’s download page
Supported Operation Systems for Visual Studio Community 2013
- Windows 8.1 (x86 and x64)
- Windows 8 (x86 and x64)
- Windows 7 SP1 (x86 and x64)
- Windows Server 2012 R2 (x64)
- Windows Server 2012 (x64)
- Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 (x64)
Recommended System Requirements
- 1.6 GHz or faster processor
- 1 GB of RAM (1.5 GB if running on a virtual machine)
- 20 GB of available hard disk space
- 5400 RPM hard disk drive
- DirectX 9-capable video card that runs at 1024 x 768 or higher display resolution
Posted in Microsoft, Software Releases.
Tagged Microsoft, Visual Studio, Visual Studio 2013, Visual Studio Community
Visual Studio 2013 update 3 is now available.
Microsoft has released update 3 for Visual Studio 2013. The new update includes the latest software updates, feature additions, and bug fixes.
For more detailed information about the new changes and the current known issues visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2933779#MT4.
You can download the ISO file directly (4.0GB) from Microsoft’s website. I would recommend using the online installer instead if you have limited bandwidth as it will simply download only the information you will need instead of just everything.
Posted in Microsoft, Software Updates.
Tagged Microsoft, Visual Studio, Visual Studio 2013, Visual Studio 2013 update 3
Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 Update 2 is now available
Microsoft has released update 2 for Visual Studio 2013. The new update contains various fixes that address bugs, performance and reliability improvements.
With the new update Microsoft also created an iso image that contains Visual Studio 2013 as well as all the updates up to and including the update 2. The iso file is 3.5GB and can be downloaded from http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=393220.
Here are some of the new capabilities that are part of this update:
- Universal Apps – With this release you can now build universal apps that can run on Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 while sharing code and assets through shared projects.
- Web Tool – Our web development tools have many new features like SCSS support, a new JSON editor, updated ASP.NET templates, and an improved URL picker.
- Azure tools – It’s easier to take advantage of Azure with options to create websites and SQL Azure databases directly on Azure for simpler deployment to a development / testing environment.
- Diagnostics – Our diagnostics tools also got some enhancements. Performance events now let you navigate to user code for MVC Methods or jump to the SQL command for database queries. It is also possible to view the Windows Store diagnostics tools at the same time to see all your diagnostics information on a shared timeline.
- Slipstream install – You can download Visual Studio with all its latest features from one install that includes Visual Studio 2013 RTM and Update 2 for Visual Studio.
You can download the new Visual Studio 2013 Update 2 using the download button below.
Posted in Microsoft, Software Updates.
Tagged Microsoft, Visual Studio 2013