Tag Archives: Unity
Unity 5 has been released
Unity is a cross-platform game creation system developed by Unity Technologies, including a game engine and integrated development environment which is used to develop video games for web sites, desktop platforms, consoles, and mobile devices. Unity has been extended to target more than fifteen platforms and is now the default software development kit for the Wii U.
This release brings forth a lot of new sought out features like:
- The Physically-based Standard Shader to make your materials look consistent in any lighting environment, cross platform.
- Real-time Global Illumination, built on Geomerics Enlighten technology.
- The Audio Mixer, to massively improve audio in your game.
- HDR Reflection Probes to enhance visual fidelity.
- PhysX 3.3 to bring massive performance improvements to 3D physics.
- Major updates to the animation system.
- WebGL preview.
If you would like to take a closer look at the new features Unity 5 comes with head out to Unity’s Blog post which has all the details.
There are two main versions of the Unity engine, personal edition and professional edition. Unity 5 personal edition comes with all the features the engine has. The main difference between the two versions is that the personal edition does not have the following features:
- Customizable Splash Screen
- Access to Unity Cloud Build Pro
- Unity Analytics Pro
- Team License
- Prioritized bug handling
- Game Performance Reporting
- Beta access
- Windows XP SP2+, 7 SP1+, 8; Mac OS X 10.8+.
- GPU: Graphics card with DX9 (shader model 2.0) capabilities. Anything made since 2004 should work.
If you would like to download the Unity 5 game engine, click the link below.
Posted in Software Releases.
Tagged game engine, Unity, Unity 5